Topics > New Distribution Capability
New Distribution Capability
Together, Let's Build Airline Retailing
NDC (New Distribution Capability) will enable the travel industry to transform the way air products are retailed to corporations
NDC (New Distribution Capability) is a travel industry-supported program (NDC Program) launched by IATA for the development and market adoption of a new, XML-based data transmission standard (NDC Standard).
The NDC Standard enhances the capability of communications between airlines and travel agents. The NDC Standard is open to any third party, intermediary, IT provider or non-IATA member, to implement and use.
The NDC Standard enables the travel industry to transform the way air products are retailed to corporations, leisure and business travelers, by addressing the industry’s current distribution limitations:
- Product differentiation and time-to-market
- Access to full and rich air content
- Transparent shopping experience
Representational State Transfer (better known as REST) is an architectural style. JSON is a data interchange format used to exchange data between platforms – another data interchange format is of course XML.
Both REST and JSON are growing in popularity and this section of the developer portal will examine REST and JSON for NDC in more detail.
Learn why NDC is a positive development for the travel industry.
What is NDC? (Part 1)
Learn what NDC is... and what it is not.
What is NDC (Part 2)
Learn what NDC is... and what it is not (cont.).
Who will benefit from NDC? And how?
Learn about the benefits that the new standard delivers.
How to use NDC: Shopping & Ordering
Learn how your sales and distribution processes will be like with NDC.
How to use NDC: Interline
Learn how your interline processes will be like with NDC.
How to use NDC: Operations
Learn how your operations-related processes will be like with NDC.
How to use NDC: Industry Settlement
Learn how your settlement-related processes will be like with NDC.
NDC Reference Architecture (for Airlines)
Learn about a possible NDC technical architecture that will help your airline adopt NDC.
Deployment Patterns (for Airlines)
Learn about the possible patterns available for the deployment of NDC within your airline.
Are you NDC certified?
IATA provides the only official industry certification and registration program for NDC.
NDC Registration covers:
- Early NDC adopters that are XML-Capable can participate in the NDC registration program and will be granted the status of XML-Capable. This registration is free of charge and will provide visibility in the NDC registry and exposure to potential NDC Deployment Partners.
The certification process examines the capabilities of airlines, agents and aggregators to receive and send NDC messages, testing specific NDC solutions.
NDC Certification covers:
- Airlines, Agents and Aggregators – Any airline that deploys an NDC API or any agent or aggregator that consumes these APIs; and
- Vendors – Any vendor that offers NDC products and services for airlines and distributors can become NDC capable.
Access now the NDC Certification Registry to see who are the NDC certified/capable actors.
There will be an administrative fee for going through this certification process.
- Download presentation on NDC Certification (pdf) (Feb 2016)
- Watch video on NDC Certification (Youtube) (Mar 2016)
Rise to the standard and apply for certification:
- Guide to NDC Registration and Certification Program (pdf)
- Certification Application Form - Airlines and Travel Agents (word)
- Certification Application Form - IT Providers and Aggregators (word)
- XML-Capable Registration Form (word)